This is a recipe that is as versatile as you want. Any of the flavors of ranch-style dressings you are currently buying at the store can be made by starting with this recipe as the base.
For example, add garlic and lime and use it in place of sour cream for your vegan tacos or enchiladas. Or add in nutritional yeast to make a ‘cheddar’ ranch style.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (1 lemon if you want to use fresh)
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar (make sure it has the Mother)
- 2 TBSP local, sustainably sourced honey
- 1/4th of a red onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 3/4 cup water separated into 1/4 cup portions
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried dill
Put all of the ingredients except the water, basil and dill into a blender and blend on high until smooth. Add the water, 1/4 cup at a time, if needed to thoroughly blend everything.
When it is smooth and creamy, add in the basil and dill and pulse just a few times to blend the spices in. Pour into a mason jar (typically this fits in a quart size jar) and store in the refrigerator. It will thicken when it chills, so you might need to add a little more water before you use it each time